You are alright, but are your parents?
Parents are good about minimizing or concealing the struggles they may be encountering as they age. If you live far away from the, it’s often difficult to determine if they are truly doing well, despite what they may say.
This is why I recommend visiting them for longer periods of time, in order to evaluate several areas of daily living activities that might indicate what type of assistance they may or may not need.
- Are your parents in good health and enjoying themselves?
- Are they dealing with medication issues and able to keep prescriptions in order and take them as directed?
- Are the refrigerator and pantry well stocked with a variety fresh items?
- Are leftover foods put away properly?
- Is the kitchen, including cabinets and appliances, properly cleaned and maintained?
- Can your parents get their mail and newspapers each day?
- Are there notices for late payments or no payments that you can see or that they might discuss with you during your visit?
- Is the checkbook reconciled and bank account in order?
- How is their ability to maintain good personal hygiene?
- Are they comfortable using the shower or bath tub?
- Is clothing in order and do they have a well groomed appearance?
If you have concerns with one or more of these items, it is time to call Family Staffing Solutions, Inc or another personal care assistance company in your area (we have offices in Tennessee, Texas, and Indiana).
We, and other companies like ours, provide personal assistance care and specialize in the kinds of support you want for your parents. Since you cannot be with them all the time, we make sure someone is, should something unexpected happen. Remember: Making sure your parent(s) routine is running smoothly not only relieves their stress, but provides you with peace of mind.